Thursday, November 5, 2009

Long-Suffering

Wow...two and a half years, and we are still waiting. I doubt there is a single person out there who is reading this blog, but that's okay. That's kind of the reason I am writing this here. It's safer.

We are both finished with our master's degrees.... While we were in the middle of it, it sure seemed like it was taking an eternity. But looking back, the last two and a half years have flown by quite quickly. When we started this leg of our journey, we didn't know that I would be finishing my master's along with Brent. I'm glad I was able to join in on the fun! =)

Since Brent finished in May, well, actually, since about March, we have been diligent about looking at jobs for Brent. I would say about 65% of my waking time not involving the kids has been spent scouring the internet and typing up cover letters for potential jobs. I can't write that on my other blog because people who shouldn't know that might read it. But, not being able to speak openly and honestly about how I spend most of my time these days has been difficult for me. The job search has been pretty consuming and tricky for me not to mention...especially since there have been several times in the last six months that we thought for sure we were about to move. But so far God has consistently closed the doors before it has gotten to that point.

It's not that Brent doesn't enjoy what he's doing...most days. It's just that two and a half years ago we took a leap of faith and an over 50% pay deduction for him to leave Wal-Mart and work at JBU. We went into this deal eyes wide open, full-knowing that we would be using our savings for a couple of years and thankful that we had a savings we could use. (That's what savings is for, right?) Well, two and a half years later, the savings is just about dwindled and we are facing the additional expense of our student loans that need to start being repaid in January.

I know God is big, and I know that we have been walking the path He wanted us to walk. So, likewise, I now trust He is going to continue to provide for our needs. Of course, that doesn't mean that we are going to ever be financially in the place we were before, but that's okay. God doesn't promise us prosperity. However, that doesn't change the fact that we have bills to pay and something has to give. So, that's why we are looking for a new job for Brent. (And because that was kind of the plan all along...that he would do this job, which has actually turned into three different jobs in the last two and a half years, while he was in school and then we'd, Lord willing, move onto something else.)

He's actually had several opportunities at a couple of different schools, but for some reason or another none of them have panned out yet. (Two schools really wanted him to come work for them, but because of finances they were not an option.) He is currently in the interview process with two other schools, one in Minnesota and one in Virginia. Guess which climate I'd rather live in? =)

So, in the meantime, here we sit and wait....trying to be patient and trust. Interestingly enough, in my time with God this morning, I read through the fruits of the Spirit(Gal. 5:22-23). I pray these fruits over my children all the time, but this morning the Holy Spirit clearly spoke to me in a new way. The version I was reading used the word "long-suffering" instead of "patient", and it struck me between the eyes that I am not very good at suffering long. The word long-suffering just says so much more than patient.... Maybe because it's so infinitely more descriptive than patient. We are to be joyful in affliction...long-suffering. I suck at this most days. So, it is my prayer today that the Lord would enable me to be more long-suffering as we wait.

It is also my prayer that He would equip me to be more long-suffering with my children. I suck at that most days, too. It was way easier when they didn't have a will of their own and strong opinions about everything. =) Man, having kids sure gives us such a glimpse into how God must feel about us!!!!!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

i have this blog on my reader, so it popped up with a new blog and i'm so glad i kept it there! your family is in my prayers... i pray that you are able to figure out the best place for you and that the decision is an easy one. it is also nice to see that i am not the only one struggling with the little ones... they can definitely be trying! but God has blessed us and i know He will continue to bless us. i hope the way is made clear to you soon! love and miss!!